Practice, practice, practice

 I've been practicing some hand guided quilting... on a white board... too chicken to try it on a live quilt.  But, I think I'm ready!  

I'm trying one of the design's from the Pajama Quilter workbook.  I have both DVD's too.  I don't think they are still available anywhere but, if you ever see a used one for sale, grab it!

I've had them forever but, I've been too intimidated to jump off the twig and see if I can fly.  (Of course if you're following the metaphor, chickens don't step out on twigs nor do they fly.  So, there's that. lol)

Here's the design I'm trying.


 And, the front of the companion workbook to the DVD.

The 3rd quilt top from the Safe Haven is pretty ugly so I'm not sure if I can make it worse with the quilting.  We'll soon find out.  I had 4 large 20" blocks made that I didn't want to waste.  I added some of the original bird border and an outer border to bring the quilt up to a usable 57" x 72" size.

You may wonder why I bother to finish a quilt that I think is, shall we say, not particularly attractive?  

It's because I once had someone ask me "can you try and make some ugly quilts?"  She was serious.  

I've never deliberately set out to make one with that objective so, I ask the lady we were delivering the donated quilts why.  She told us that a homeless person, if given a choice, well seek out the ugliest one.  It's less likely to be stolen.

It was something I've never forgotten.  There's someone who will love even the ugly quilts.  If that's true, they're really going to love this one!



No comments: