Seminole wind

 I finished another UFO.  This was my #4 from the Stashbuster's random number draw for February.  It was a mystery by mail from Glad Creations Quilt Shop in Minnesota (now closed).  

The sashing I substituted for the one in the original pattern is technique called "Seminole Patchwork". 

Because the fabrics are such a light breezy color I'm calling this one Seminole Wind.  It reminds me of my favorite John Anderson song. I used to blast it thought my speakers and sing my heart out every time it came on the radio.   And, if you're into trivia, here's a little known fact:  The Florida Seminoles are the only American Indian tribe never to sign a formal peace treaty with the United States.   

Back to the quilt details... I had to take two of the finished blocks apart to have just enough of the off-white batik.  The purple was intended to be binding fabric in the original kit. 

The outer border and setting stones are a little darker than I would have preferred but, I was determined to use fabrics I already own to get this one finished. (The backing, also from stash is a purple & dark teal batik).  It finishes at 58" x 68".



I followed the excellent tutorial for making Seminole Patchwork from Geta's Quilting Studio.  My blocks finished at an odd 11 1/2" unfinished size so I won't bore you with a lot of measurements you'll never use but, I did take a few photos during the piecing. 

Sew three units light, dark, light

Stitch the units together matching the horizontal seams.

Add an additional square (see top left and bottom right) so you'll be able to trim the piece into a rectangle shape.

Make sure to trim 1/4" away from the colored square to leave a seam allowance to attach sashing pieces.

Also, trim each end 1/4" from the colored square.

I needed to add fabrics to each end to bring the sashing piece to the same 11 1/2" as my blocks.


Subcut the strip units that same width as the retangle.

This photo shows the Seminole piecing rectangle, and one with the strip sets added to each end.  I then added cornerstone squares cut the same measurement as the width of the rectangle.  (I think mine ended up an odd 2 7/8".   But, I had to use the 2 1/4"white squares that were already cut from the original mystery.)

Here's another look at one of the blocks.  I still don't LOVE this quilt.  I was happy to have a chance to try the Seminole Patchwork I've been wanting to do for a while and also, to have another UFO striked off the list!
 
Here's what the quilt pattern looked like (in a different colorway) once it was revealed.   I chose the batik colorway.  The fabrics just all blended into each other (in my opinion).  No only did I change the setting but I also made the quilt quite a bit smaller than originally designed.  I'll use the left over fabrics in another quilt someday as I'm sure there is enough for a second quilt.  As you can imagine, lots of unused cut pieces intended for that outer border.  





2 comments:

Judy in Missouri said...

I’ve always heard of Seminole piecing, but have never seen it explained. Thanks for the quick lesson! I really like it in your quilt.

Time To Quilt said...

Thanks Judy. I found Geta's tutorial really helpful. I'm enjoying experimenting around with my UFOs to try a few new ideas to finish them up.