Finished is better than perfect

The Stashbusters online quilt group organizes a challenge to finish your UFO's each year to motivate us to get stuff done!  There are prizes, penalties, and bragging rights which are all part of the fun.   

Separately, one of the members draws a UFO number at random each month.  The idea is to pull out your project and make some progress on it. August was posted a couple of days early so I went ahead and pulled it out to take a look.  It's number #11.


At first look, I couldn't imagine why I put it away like this.  What was I thinking???  


At the bottom of that pile were a few strip sets.  As soon as I saw them I immediately knew what happened.


These two fabrics look fine.. BUT...


In one of the block strips they're side by side and almost indistinguishable from each other.   So, I'm taking all the 48 individual strips (row 3) and the 48 strip sets (rows 1 & 2) apart and replacing those two fabrics.

I went to my local quilt shop today to find a blue and green in the same print. I really wanted a darker print but, I kept running into the same problem.  All the ones with a deep saturation of color didn't work.


The two fabrics I purchased might not work well either since the value is so close to the fabric it's next to.  We'll see.  They both have a bit of metallic in them (which I usually avoid) so maybe that will help.  Blue with silver and green with gold.

I plan to finish the quilt even if the fabric choices are a little disappointing.  The quilt shop owner I took classes from decades ago always told us - "finished is better than perfect".  I wonder how many times I'll have to say that silently to myself before this one is done?

No comments: