For the love of old jeans

 There's nothing quite as comfortable as a pair of soft worn denim jeans.  Well, almost nothing...


...except maybe a quilt made from jeans that are too worn to wear any longer. The backs of the legs are almost always in good shape.  These were on top of my scrap bins so, I'll add them to my scrap busting series as I embark on a mission to reduce my overflowing bins of scrap fabric!


De-boning them is pretty quick work with electric scissors!  (Don't forget the inside of the back pockets.  I'm always happy to find really dark pieces of denim there.)  My friend, a professional long arm quilter, told me several years about how her dad had suggested using electric scissors to cut batting might make it easier.  He was right!  I use them for batting but, they also work really well cutting through the thick denim seams.



 
These are destined to become a quilt sort of like a pair of quilts I made at the beginning of the year, only smaller. And, not this pattern. All of the quilts in my Scrap Busting Series are going to be based on the rail fence block so I'll have to think about a variation of the block for denim.

Links previous posts about these quilts are here, here, here, and the cutting instructions are in this post.



No comments: