String Block Challenge quilt

 I finished my first string quilt for this year's Heartstring 365 block challenge.   It will be donated.  The goal is to average a block a day.  I chose to make sure I work on them every Sunday if I haven't completed 7 blocks during the week.  

I originally saw a quilt like this in a photo of a Modern Quilt Guild show.    Hopefully, I can get a better photo of it when I get a replacement thumbscrew for my stand.


I hoped the white centers, block setting, and horizontal straight line quilting would give these traditional fabrics a more modern look. 

The quilt measures 84" x 84" and consists of 64 blocks in the following (unfinished) sizes:


When making the rectangle blocks, be sure to sew half of the center white strips in one direction \ and the other half in the opposite direction / making mirror image blocks. 




3 comments:

Janet Travis said...

Really awesome and thank you for providing the sizes of blocks and your tips as well. I may have to try it! Another on the list of “to make someday “.

Quilty bird said...

Wow! This is great! Thanks for the photo AND the instructions!

Nann said...

What a great optical illusion design.