Batik Strings


I mentioned about two weeks ago that I wanted to start sewing string blocks as leaders/enders.  Normally, sewing strings can get quiet messy with fabrics strewn everywhere.  It hasn't been a problem with these.  I began by slicing a pile of short strings to approximately 4 inches long so I'm able to just grab one and sew to the foundation as I go.

I have about half of the blocks I need finished and I checked my calculations.   I do have enough of the background fabric at the top of this photo to make a quilt 54" x 74", a nice size lap quilt.  

Here is the free pattern again by GE Designs that I'm using with strings rather than 2 1/2" strips.  I've altered the size a bit to fit my string foundations.


I have so many light strings I may have to frame the background blocks with a bright color to make them pop rather than blend in  I really want to work with stash fabrics as much as possible so I'll try out a few and see which one looks best. I'm anxious now to get the rest of the blocks completed!


No comments: