Last of the reevaluated UFO's - #19, #21, #22, #25, #26

Tomorrow I need to make up a new Fab Four list of items to try and accomplish next week.  Today, I finished up one on the current list - to reevaluate my UFO's and determine if I wanted to finish, fling, revise, or restash any of them.  Here are the last five.  (I have a few more in the original 12 but, I'll be taking a look those as part of the Stashbuster's monthly UFO random number draw.)  I also have a few remaining flimsies.  The rest of the 45 I began this year with have been completed.  And, all my new starts are finished.  A few of those are in the binding pile but that's close to done.  Yay!

I'm starting to see a pattern here.  No surprise.  I knew mystery and block of the month quilts comprised most of my unfinished projects.  I've since realized that another culprit is holiday themed projects that got set aside and never returned to if it wasn't finished in time.  I've learned my lessons on all three!

Here are the last five...

#19  The first photo below is the quilt I want to make now. The one beneath is A Thimbleberries UFO form a pattern called Harvest Time.  I've misplaced or more likely, gave away the book or pattern I need to finish it.  That's okay because I'm really not in love with it.  Instead, I'll just use what parts I can to make a version of Judy Laquidara's Leaf Season from her Weekend Quilts Book. Mine won't be quite as colorful because I need to use up fabric I have and get these off the shelf.  Since it's more primitive looking,  I may even make  a few small pumpkins for some of the blocks. I'm sure I have a couple of Kansas Troubles fabrics, including plum, that I can add to these for more leaf variety. I have a wide Thimbleberries backing I've tagged now to save for this top.





UFO #21 Is going to be a quick easy finish.  I have 9 twist and turn Dogs on the Beach blocks.  I'll frame it with these two pieces of fabric from my stash.  The top and bottom border will be double the size of the side borders using the dog bone fabric.  It will be much more usable as a rectangle for a toddler quilt.  It wouldn't have been my first choice but, I have no more of any of the original fabrics to make more blocks. I have a teal minky fabric for the back. This is going to be a "just git 'er done!" quilt.  No muss, no fuss.


UFO #22 is another seasonal quilt.  I'll prioritize it to make sure it's done well before Veteran's Day.  It's only a wall hanging size and the center is finished so won't take long at all to add the borders and quilt it.  I may use the gold and blue plaid for both, the outer border and the backing so I can use most of it up..  With the friendship stars in the corners, I won't even have to deal with matching up the plaid.  I'll check my scraps for gold to the 4 friendship stars in the border.



The last two UFO's are both block of the month quilts.

UFO #25 Sand & Surf was abandoned because I got bored with it, pure and simple.  I do like the fabrics and probably would have chosen to just stash them since I only have 4 blocks made.  But, I saw the sampler quilt setting by Hyacinth Quilt Designs in the last photo and fell in love with it!  Good timing because I think the blocks will work well.  Unsure about the backing until I figure out what size it will finish since there is no pattern.  (The fabric in the photo looks a lot bluer than it's true color - teal.







UFO #26  O Tannenbaum.  I really like this quilt and have a couple of the blocks made.  My plan for this one is to make a block a week.  That will give me time to work on those applique blocks in the corners and center of the quilt.  Since the quilt will be more for display at the holidays than utility use, I may opt for buttonhole stitch applique or, I may even consider doing a wool applique.   I'm hoping to piece some Christmas prints from my stash for the back.  I'm happy to get some older fabrics out of may stash and into quilts!


I'm anxious to get started on these quilts again.  Now that I have plans for most of them, I'll can look at the photos on my page list here, then click to the blog post I wrote describing my thoughts and plans.  It should make it much easier to decide what to work on next!

2 comments:

swooze said...

Great review. How many did you abandon?

Time To Quilt said...

None! Yay! A couple of them will be finished much smaller than originally intended and donated. They were far enough along that they're simple finishes and I have backing fabric on hand.