Love all shades





I'm calling this one: LOVE ALL SHADES

When we visited Washington DC I saw a woman with those words on her t-shirt, and it's one of those things that stick with you.
I wanted to make a quilt that would remind me of the day spend in Washington. The block is a very old traditional one called a "rail fence" and seemed appropriately symbolic for this quilt.. This was UFO #32 from my 2021 Quilt Goal list. It was a 3 strip log rail fence block, flimsy with not borders. When I decided to make this quilt I took those pieces apart and revised it to make this version. I have to say, I sure like this one a lot better! Here's a closeup of the Thimbleberries fabrics used in the quilt. It's quilted in a clamshell design by Urban Elementz. It makes me think of rainbows or in this case, hope rising.


Our trip was two weeks ago and it's the first time I've ever been to Washington. (We also traveled to Niagra Falls and to Lancaster county PA.)

What a surreal experience it was to see all the iconic places I've watched on the news or read about in a book. The best part by far was the opportunity to stand on the steps of the Capitol building.
The Capitol police seemed amused when I asked if I could take their photo and struck a pose that made me laugh out loud after I thanked them for their service. You almost forget they're real people just trying to do their jobs. ❤️

The Capitol

Capitol Police

Library of Congress

Lincoln Memorial

Reflecting Pool

Russell Senate Office Building

Supreme Court Building

Vietnam Memorial Wall

Washington Monument

The White House

No comments: